Thursday, May 20, 2010

Yes, I really am a superhero.

Mother's Day, the time for flowers and candy and IOUs of doing dishes or being nice to your siblings, has come and gone. Soon those IOUs will expire until next year, when you remember how wonderful your mother is, once again. So, rather than sweeping myself under the rug, I'm celebrating my accomplishments. I'm looking back at all the things that make me a good mom. It's too easy to purposely not care about or ignore the things that children do that drive you crazy... but it's a challenge each and every day to care and correct and support and put 110% of effort into raising a child. Even more, if you go it alone.

Although motherhood comes with an endless amount of guilt of all the things that you aren't doing for your child, I think the point of Mother's Day (and everyday) is to celebrate what you are doing. So, here's my little list of things that make me proud.


Xavier loves libraries - We spend much of our time at home reading books about anything he likes, and Xavier enjoys going to the library in search of new books. Of course, he chooses them based on the pictures he sees, or the fact that he can reach them, but he really likes reading.


Xavier imagines - I cannot tell you how many times Xavier's toys have given me back massages and asked me for things. It's amazing how a small bulldozer can offer to help carry the groceries and respond, "you're welcome" in a bulldozer rumbling voice.


Xavier solves problems - Ut oh, he just spilled juice all over the table again. Wait, what's that... he's going to grab a towel and wipe it up?


Xavier helps - Xavier has various little jobs that he's doing. At the grocery store, he loads the cart with fruits and sits in the basket with all the groceries. Then when he gets to the cashier, he unloads the cart too. At home, he makes his bed, picks up his toys, and wipes the table when asked to do it. In the car, when we're on road trips, he's on high alert for big trucks and does a very good job of pointing them out... until he falls asleep.


Xavier has manners - It's amazing how a little "please" or "thank you" or "you're welcome" makes life so much easier. I never put much thought into it, but it's so much easier to handle the demands of a 3 year old if they come with niceties. My favorite is when he says "thank you mommy for..."


It's not a complete list of everything that makes me proud of him or everything that I've helped him do. It's just everyday things that remind me I'm doing a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment