Xavier has shown me lots of things in life, and tonight he has made me happy that I am not a deer. In fact, I don't think I would cut it. I would be the baby that is captured right after it's born. I know this because my lungs were burning after 3 or 4 rounds of chase. I was the deer, Xavier was the leopard.
Yes, leopard. He found my old Halloween costume (tail and ears) from a couple years ago. He put them on and then tried to find a deer tail for me. He settled on me wearing his tiger tail - I suppose it's very important that prey be properly dressed for the occasion - and we were set for the chase. It started each time with me pretending to eat the rhododendron, Herbie, and starting to run when I spotted the leopard sneaking up on me. So we ran, and giggled as he chased me from one end of the house to the other. All along the way he was roaring, between the giggles of course. It also ended each time with Xavier making the kill and tackling me. The first time, I think I made it 10 seconds. The rest of them... maybe a minute. Laughs, giggles and many roars later, we finally settled down and played a game. Now that he's stretched out on the couch next to me, I've been reminded of one thing. Although my knees might ache and my lungs burn, my heart still beats for him. Despite being captured by his ferocious self.
No comments:
Post a Comment