Sunday, July 25, 2010

Peds here he comes...

Yesterday was the first day that I have ever had a housecall. Doctor Xavier took very good care of me and added his own personal touch to the typical pediatric examination. It's worth noting that Xavier despises doctor visits because he's scared of shots. Anytime he's sick, we don't go to the doctor, we go to the pediatrician. I know, I know. One day, I will fill him in on the fact that pediatricians are doctors. Until then, I feel it's no worse than Santa.

Anyways, I've noticed that Xavier is very much into pretend play. He's been pretending to be a dinosaur or tiger and chase and bite me for the last 6 months. However, it wasn't until yesterday that his pretend play mirrored everyday life.

Xavier began by having me lay down on pillows on the floor. He asked how I was feeling. He looked at me when I told him. (bedside manner already!) He then proceeded to pull out his tools and use them to examine me... a ruler, a couple pencils, pieces of fabric, empty carton of goldfish, blocks, toy dinosaur, etc.

After the preliminary exam, he moved me to the exam room - located conveniently behind the rocking chair in the living room and had me lay down on the table... a box and a collection of my t-shirts. He proceeded with his exam, this time even more thorough. He checked my toes to make sure they were the same size and my thumbs as well. He even checked my heart with his makeshift stethoscope. (pencil connected to sticker, with fabric going to his ears) All throughout his exam, he continually reassured me that I would be done soon. At the end, he even gave me a sticker because I was good. Too bad my other doctors don't do that!


It's fascinating to watch him. You can't help but smile and wonder what all his young mind is able to comprehend. I just hope that whatever he decides to do with his life lets him attend to people the way that he did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment