Sunday, September 19, 2010

His own driver's seat

Xavier, unfortunately, has become a terrible backseat driver. It hasn't been two days that he hasn't told me to go because it's green or stop because it's red. Often he wants to go this way or that way rather than our usual path. I understand that he is just learning the rules and vocalizing them often, but I don't remember doing this to my parents when I was three. Maybe when I was 10 and realized what those signals meant.

However, this shows me two important things about his development. First, he recognizes where we go as well as what else is nearby. He understands that point A is close to point B and that this other place that we've been is also in the same locale. Maybe he will inherit my ability to always find my way.

Second, he recognizes a sense of rules and applies them to himself, but not to others. He is observant and patient enough to wait for the light to change to green, but doesn't understand why I don't move if there are cars in front of me. He recognizes a simple red/yellow/green system, but can't comprehend that others are following that same system. It's great to know that he's paying attention to it, but it's astounding to know that he processes such information differently than I do.

How fast he's growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment