Sometimes, being a parent sucks. It sucks when you're so tired, but you still have to wash the dishes. It sucks when you're lonely and worried, and your little one thinks it's the perfect time to act up. It sucks when you're sick, and you really wish that someone was there to care for you. It sucks when all you want to do blow a whistle, call time out, and realize that life doesn't work that way.
So, using your inferential skills, you can probably detect that this past week has just been difficult.
My old CC coach told us about the 24 hour rule, and it's time to put it to use. You have 24 hrs to gloat or be gloomy about whatever it was that made you so, then back to work on that ultimate goal of yours. So, maybe my goal has shifted from running a killer 5k to raising a loving, considerate young man... but the same rule applies. Rather than pull an Eeyore, here are 20 reasons I love my son:
1. Belly on feet - Xavier has an obsession with bellies, specifically mine. Ever since he was teeny, he's enjoyed putting his very cold feet on my very warm belly.
2. random kisses - Every once in a while, I get smothered with kisses. It's like a bell goes off reminding him that mommy likes kisses.
3. The flying hug - Every day, I get a hug at the end of the day. I get down on one knee and open my arms, Xavier takes a flying leap and lands with a "umph" as he almost knocks me over.
4. "thank you mommy" - He says thank you without being prompted when I do something nice for him
5. open door conversations - Xavier has no inhibitions about conversations in which 1 person is in the washroom and the other isn't. (See number 7)
6. maybe when I'm ... - When he's 15, Xavier will ride a motorcycle, but he'll wait til 24 or 25 to have alcohol or wine with mommy.
7. "you have a gina" - A holdover from potty training, Xavier knows basic anatomy. He knows mommy doesn't have a penis. Just today, he said, "oh I forgot, you don't have a penis, you have a gina". Yes, my son will be that kid.
8. Split popsicles - they're better shared.
9. Serenades from the backseat - He's a fan of Bruno Mars, so I've heard "Marry You" from the voice of a 3 year old.
10. Ackcashee - "Actually", this is one of my favorite words that he says. He uses big words in everyday conversation.
11. Gian Cific ocapus - He's watched the "shark vs. octopus" on youtube so many times, I've lost count. He's still really interested in nonfiction about animals and always manages to impress adults with his knowledge about many different land and sea animals or... "aminals".
12. Dr. Seuss - Xavier likes Oh the Places You'll Go. enough said.
13. Charleston - he likes to lead me around on the dance floor or the living room and likes to do side by side Charleston. I love it. :)
14. Pillowfights and giggles - Saturday mornings could start with an hour of cuddling, or a 15 minute pillow fight.
15. curling up on my lap - Without fail, he just curls up in my lap like it's another seat anytime there's a book or movie.
16. Transformers and Tom and Jerry - He appreciates old versions of things... He seriously loves Tom and Jerry clips from the 40s and the 80s transformers.
17. Washing dishes - these become water fights quickly.
18. "That ok, ackkissidens happen" - without fail, every time he says this, I feel better.
19. snoring - As I'm writing this, I can hear him snoring from the other room... he's always snored, but there's nothing sweeter than baby snores.
20. Thumb - He's changed so much from when I first brought him home from the hospital, that sometimes the only visible connection to his babyhood is that he still sucks his thumb. It's always his left thumb, because his right hand is always playing with his belly button. (see #1)
Bottom line: No matter what happens, I'm always going to love my little guy. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment