I was informed by his teacher on Friday that Xavier was fighting in school and had to be in time out 3 times that day.
Part of me is deeply saddened that my little boy is leaving his sweet babyhood behind. I mean... babies don't usually fight.
Part of me is feeling guilty as if there was something else that I could have done to be more on top of him and his behavior.
Part of me is angry that he is fighting when he's not yet 3.
Yet, part of me is hoping desperately that he doesn't become a statistic. Anyone who has ever spent time in schools knows that the majority of behavior problems are found in boys. As is the number of Learning Disabilities. Furthermore, boys quickly labeled as lost causes or bad boys due to the aforementioned challenges. I would hate for my son to have those labels in the eyes of his teachers.
So, how do I support Xavier's growing need to be a little boy (aggressive, active, etc.) with the need to behave properly in school environments? Furthermore, how do I get the school to support me in not chastising or reprimanding my son's developmental needs while maintaining a safe environment? To see him as a child with physical activity needs rather than a child with problems or a child acting out?
...and they said labor was the hard part.
No comments:
Post a Comment