Friday, April 2, 2010

QOTD: Do Octopuses have Penises?

Every parent will say something like... "I've learned so much from my child... blah blah blah... sappy sappy nonsense... insert seemingly ingenuine comment... blah blah blah." Well, it's true. I had a "wow, I have exactly no idea" moment today. Today, I searched the internet for the answer to the above question because Xavier posed it to me earlier today. He categorizes people as to men or women and "what they have" so... where exactly does an octopus stand? err, swim? If there are girl dogs and boy dogs... girl cats and boy cats... are there girl and boy octopuses? (You can find the answer pretty easily but surprisingly they don't - simply one leg may detach as necessary.)

I think the wonderful thing about children is the insatiable curiosity that they innately have. Xavier stops everything... including dinner to talk about Octopuses. (I always thought it was octopi...) He watches in the middle of the produce section how someone uses a broom. He stops and picks up sticks that grown eyes don't see. There are never enough airplanes in the sky or sounds in the background to ponder about. Everything is still new.

Yes the perpetual "What ____ do?" can become tedious. Explaining complicated processes to a two year old can be incredibly difficult... especially when they ask the same question over. However, I wonder when will my curious little guy become an adult with blinders on? And... how do you remove the blinders from yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment